Little-Dot MK III & IV with "Low" impedance headphones

Talk all about Little Dot products!

Moderators: DavidZheZhe, sword_yang

Little-Dot MK III & IV with "Low" impedance headphones

Postby gotnorice » Nov 21st, '10, 04:49

Hello! I am a happy owner of both a Little Dot II+ and a II++. I've had both units for a number of years now and I'm very interested in buying a newer unit such as an MK III or MK IV.

I have three headphones that I use. My main pair is a Beyerdynamic DT770/Pro 80ohm. I also use a pair of Sony MDR-V6 (63ohms) and a pair of DT990/Pro 250ohm.

I am concerned about how much power an MK III or MK IV will have powering 80ohm headphones. I noticed that even though the MK IV is said to have more power than the MK III, the specs only showing it as having more power with higher impedance headphones while the ratings between the two for 120ohm or less is identical. Would there be any reason to get a MK IV over an MK III for low impedance headphones?

I will say that I am more than satisfied with the power output of both my old II+ and II++ units when powering my DT770/Pro 80ohm headphones, but I don't recall the specs of these old units to be able to determine if they are able to deliver more or less power than a MK III or MK IV would at 80ohms. If they are at least as powerful at 80ohms as the older units then I'm sure I'll be more than happy.
gotnorice

Re: Little-Dot MK III & IV with "Low" impedance headphones

Postby gotnorice » Nov 23rd, '10, 15:38

I was also thinking about getting a pair of Sony MDR-XB700 headphones.

But the specifications say that they are only 24ohms...

Am I correct in assuming that the Little-Dot I+ would be the only suitable amp for a headphone with such low impedance?
gotnorice

Postby DavidZheZhe » Nov 24th, '10, 09:19

gotnorice wrote:I was also thinking about getting a pair of Sony MDR-XB700 headphones.

But the specifications say that they are only 24ohms...

Am I correct in assuming that the Little-Dot I+ would be the only suitable amp for a headphone with such low impedance?

For headphones that low, the Little Dot I+ would provide the best performance. The Little Dot MK II and MK III would also drive them (the same as the II and II+), but the Little Dot I+ will be the best price/performance value for extremely low impedance headphones as it will outperform at a lower price.
DavidZheZhe

Postby dancingpotato » Nov 27th, '10, 11:15

Would the Little Dot III perform well with headphones of 32, 55 and 60 ohms.
I have 4 headphones ... and one which has 250 ohms but it seems
that will be well taken care of by the little dot III.

Koss UR40 60 ohm 98 dB SPL/1mW

ATH-AD700 32 ohms 98 dB/mW at 1 kHz

Sennheiser HD-202 32 ohms 115 dB SPL @ 1 kHz

AKG Acoustics K-240 55ohms 91 dB/mW, 104 dB/V
---------------------------
Beyerdynamics DT990Pro 250ohms 96 db

With the headphones I own is the little dot III a good solution ?

Thank You
dancingpotato

Postby DavidZheZhe » Dec 2nd, '10, 23:28

dancingpotato wrote:Would the Little Dot III perform well with headphones of 32, 55 and 60 ohms.
I have 4 headphones ... and one which has 250 ohms but it seems
that will be well taken care of by the little dot III.

Koss UR40 60 ohm 98 dB SPL/1mW

ATH-AD700 32 ohms 98 dB/mW at 1 kHz

Sennheiser HD-202 32 ohms 115 dB SPL @ 1 kHz

AKG Acoustics K-240 55ohms 91 dB/mW, 104 dB/V
---------------------------
Beyerdynamics DT990Pro 250ohms 96 db

With the headphones I own is the little dot III a good solution ?

Thank You

Yes, for your 250 ohm Beyers, you can use any gain and have enough drive. For low impedance headphones, I would recommend trying the higher gain settings (5x or 10x)
DavidZheZhe

Postby jetblackstar » May 30th, '11, 05:11

I can speak to the MKIII and low impedance cans. Or at least 25 ohms, with the Denon 2000's.
I panic'd a bit after I'd made my order as I thought I'd made a horrible mistake. But having seen David's reply's elsewhere that it would be fine with Denon's with Gain 5 or 10 I relaxed and let it arrive.

They sound wonderful. As I understand it the lower impedance may wear out the tubes a little faster as more current flows during their use, but nothing dramatic.

In future as I collect more cans I may consider a I+ for the Denon's to squeeze better sound out, but to be honest I'm at 90 hours burn in and in heaven.
Last edited by jetblackstar on May 30th, '11, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
jetblackstar

Postby nrap » May 30th, '11, 16:16

Im in the same boat.
Looking for an amp for shure 840s (44 ohm) and dt 770s (32 ohm).
im tempted to get the mkIII
but may grab the I+ instead.
Decisions decisions.
If the MKIII will power the 32 ohms then i may just get it as i will probably be getting higher impedance cans next.
nrap

Postby DavidZheZhe » Jun 1st, '11, 04:45

nrap wrote:Im in the same boat.
Looking for an amp for shure 840s (44 ohm) and dt 770s (32 ohm).
im tempted to get the mkIII
but may grab the I+ instead.
Decisions decisions.
If the MKIII will power the 32 ohms then i may just get it as i will probably be getting higher impedance cans next.

if you are only planning on using low impedance headphones, the Little Dot I+ will be more than enough. If you are planning on trying out high impedance headphones in the future, the Little Dot MK III will be more versatile as it can drive low impedance and high impedance headphones.
DavidZheZhe

Return to Little Dot Audio Products